Mickaboo is experiencing a steady increase in the amount of birds brought to us for placement. As a 100% volunteer organization we rely on our volunteers to transport, house, and care for the birds until permanent homes can be found. We have volunteers all over Northern California, and some in Southern California. At this time we cannot expand our operations out of the state of CA, but please read on for more ways you can help if you are out of state.
Please email email@example.com if you'd like to pitch in! ... or you can download a volunteer application. If you are under the age of 18, one of your parents will need to complete part of the section in the volunteer application.
In addition to fostering, adopting, and donating to Mickaboo, we'd love to have your help with the following types of tasks.
People who can help with office and administrative duties
- People with trucks or vans who can help us transport cages
- People with cars and time that can help transport birds or supplies
- Places to store cages and other equipment
- Help us clean out our rented storage facilities in several Bay Area locations
- Help staff tables at rescue/animal events
- Help with flyer and poster distribution for fundraising events
- Individual fundraising efforts like passing the hat at your workplace or school
- Development assistance for our production databases and website
Required: Perl, Mysql, Apache & Linux/UNIX knowledge)
(Bonus: JSP/Java knowledge)
- Java client development for our tracking software
(Required: Java development experience)(Bonus: Linux/UNIX knowledge)
- General technical assistants to help create accounts, manage membership, etc
(Required: Some technical experience or fast learner)
(Bonus: Experience w/ UNIX command line)
- A Mac OSX technical person to help port our client applications to Mac
(Required: Very good familiarity with Mac OSX or willingness to learn)
(Bonus: Applescripting / Shell scripting experience)
- People with bird experience who would like to share knowledge with groups or provide advise new or current bird owners on proper bird care
- People who would like to help teach our bird classes
- People with writing skills to help us write information and stories for our website
Getting the Word Out!
- Take Mickaboo flyers to pet stores, vet offices, and animal shelters on a regular basis
- Help create public service announcements for television and radio stations
- Create, update, and print flyers for fundraising efforts, special events, classes, educational purposes, and so on
- Help organize fundraising efforts and/or collect donations of supplies or equipment to help
Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue.
People who have a digital cameras and would like to help take pictures of incoming birds for the Mickaboo website
Avian veterinarians in the San Francisco Bay Area who would like to donate services to Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue at a reduced charge