From time to time, Mickaboo offers "Intermediate Bird Care" and "Advanced Bird Behavior" classes, as demand and our Volunteers' time allows. You can also reserve your space at any of the classes described below by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and including the subject/date of the class.
Avian Vision and Proper Lighting
Birds are the most visually-oriented of all vertebrates and have one of nature’s most sophisticated visual systems. Their vision evolved under the sun – an environment far different from that of the modern human home. This class will cover how and what birds see, what birds use light for, and how to build an indoor lighting system that simulates the qualities of sunlight.
- How and what birds see
- What birds use light for
- Why home lighting is inadequate
- How lighting can affect behavior, diet, screaming, phobias, and sleep cycles
- The role of UV in avian vision
- Characteristics of the ideal avian light
- Current options for avian lighting
- Which bulbs to use and which to avoid
There is no charge for this class. However, donations to Mickaboo are always welcome.
We occasionally bring sample lights and fixtures to the class. Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose stocks the Philips tube lights that are our most highly-recommended bulbs.
There was a lot of interest for the class at the Cambell location. If you'd like to attend a future class in Campbell, email email@example.com and mention that you are interested in the next Avian Lighting class in Campbell. If we get enough interest, we can probably teach it again in early 2015,
Date: November 7, 2015
Time: 1:30 to 4:45 pm, with a 15 minute break
Location: Pet Food Express
1902 S. Bascom Ave,
Campbell, CA 95008
You can download our flyer here.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com with your name and address (location) if you are interested in taking this class. We will teach it when we get enough people interested in a particular area.
- Berkeley (taught in March 2010)
- Davis (taught in January 2013)
- Hayward (taught in March 2011)
- Novato (taught in May 2011 and May 2013)
- Sacramento (taught in Citrus Heights in May 2010 and July 2012 and January 2014)
- San Francisco (taught in July 2010)
- San Jose (taught in February 2010 and September 2012)
- Sunnyvale (taught in September 2010)
- Vacaville (taught in June 2013)
- Walnut Creek (taught at PFE in April 2010) (taught at Lindsay Museum November 2011)
Other Potential Locations
- Redwood City
- Santa Cruz
- San Mateo (Peninsula Humane Society)